Starting out in 1989, Garming had the goal to create navigation and communication devices to enrich customers' lives with principles of innovation, convenience, performance, value and service. Today Garmin is a leader in the design, manufacturing and marketing of GPS navigation, communication and sonar products for a variety of markets, including:
What is GPS?
GPS, or Global Positioning System, is a satellite-based navigation system that is made up of a network of 24 satellites currently in orbit. These GPS satellites circle earth twice a day in a precise orbit and transmit information to earth. Your GPS receiver takes this information and uses triangulation to calculate your exact location. In order to calculate a 2D position (longitude and latitude) and track movement, the GPS receiver must be locked on to the signal of at least three satellites. When the receiver has four or more satellites in view it is able to for altitude of the user too. When the GPS unit has identified user position, it can then additionally calculate for speed, bearing, track, trip distance, distance to destination, sunrise and sunset time, as well as much more.
Garmin offers a full line-up of marine products, from streamlined, highly-effective fishfinders to an entire plug-and-play marine network with sonar, radar and XM weather to outfit your vessel with.
- Chartplotters - Highly accurate GPS plotters to help keep you precisely on course during your journeys and excursions, so you can navigate with complete and total confidence.
- Sounders - These chartplotters plus sonar will guide you right to the next big fish.
- Fishfinders - Garmin offers a wide range of fishfinders to suit your individual specifications and make finding fish easier than ever.
- Handhelds - Garmin manufactures and huge line of rugged and waterproof marine handheld GPS. Each handheld is packed with features to help you navigate the waterways, and with many options to choose from you are sure to find one that's right for you.
- Radar - Radomes and open array radars show you what's out there on the water.
- Autopilots - These easy-to-use and reliable autopilots lead the way in any sea condition.
- Transducers - Garmin's Intelliducer line of transducers offer a variety of features and mounting styles for your vessel. With these transducers you will bring out the full potential of your marine network.
- Weather - With location-specific XM WX Weather data, you can know exactly what kind of weather lies in your path. XM WX Weather deliver high-resolution animated weather data in chart-overlay form directly to your MFD.
- Communications - Marine radio receivers and wired handset microphones offer and enhance convenience and safety.
Trail and Outdoor Use
Garmin's rugged, waterproof handhelds, track exactly where you are, and where your going while you hike, camp, hunt, explore and geocache. They do all the work for you, so you can focus on having fun.
- Basic Handhelds - Garmin offers a wide range of simple and lightweight navigators for rugged outdoor adventures.
- Mapping Handhelds - This line of tough, handheld mapping navigators give you directions both on and off the road.