Installation of your new Grand Slam 270 Outrigger Base
On a T-Top (Canvas Top)
When installing the Grand Slam mount on a canvas top a mounting
plate must first be installed running for and aft on each side between the
brace bars of the T-Top. If there is no mounting plate, you can choose
either the weld in plate, GSE-1939BXY30-1 or if your brace bars are the
correct size, you may be able to use the clamp on plate GSE-1002-1. A
third option would be to weld in your own plate.
- To find the proper location of the mounting plate keep in mind that the handle of the GS-270 requires 8" of clearance from the center of the 3-1/8" hole in order to rotate the outrigger 90 degrees from facing aft to the outboard position. The handle positions can be changed on this model.
- If you are going to weld your own mounting plates to the frame,
unlace the canvas and remove any wires that may be inside the tubing
of the brace bars and the T-Top frame where you are going to weld.
If you are using one of our weld-on or clamp-on plates, steps 3 and 4
have been done for you. If you are using our clamp-on plate it is not
necessary to unlace the canvas.
- If you are having plates made, they should be 3/8" thick by 5" wide
and long enough to fit between the brace bars. When drilling the holes,
it is best to cut the 3-1/8" hole and drop the GS-270 into the hole and
mark the location of the 4 mounting holes right through the holes in the
unit. When determining where to place the 3-1/8" hole in the plate,
refer to step 1
- Weld the plates to the frame and brace bars. The mounting plates
should be welded on 3 sides.
- Reinstall the lacing on the canvas.
- With a razor knife cut an X in the canvas through the 3-1/8" holes in
both of the aluminum mounting plates. Then cut each of those triangular
pieces in half so you now have 8 flaps of canvas going down through the
hole in the plate.
- Both GS-270's are exactly alike. They come with the handle in
the same position as the outrigger tube. If this is the handle position
you want, one of the units will be ready to drop right in with the upper
adjusting knob facing outboard and the outrigger tube facing aft along
with the handle opening.
- Locate this unit and remove the 2 hex head screws from the handle
with a 1/8" Allen Wrench and pull the handle out.
- On the underside of the GS-270 put a bead of Silicone around all 5 holes of the unit and place on top of the canvas directly over the holes in the plate, insert the bolts and tighten with a 3/16" Allen Wrench and re-install the handle.
- To change the handle position of the other unit, first follow steps
8 and 9, but do not put the handle in yet. Pull off the plastic logo cap
and up inside the unit you will see a bolt head. With a ratchet, short extension and a 9/16" socket, loosen the bolt by turning it counter clockwise 5 complete turns.
- Re-install the handle but do not screw it in. Pull down on the
handle and rotate it until the outrigger holder on top is facing aft with
the adjusting knob facing outboard. You may have to flip the outrigger
holder over to the other horizontal position to accomplish this.
- Someone else should stand on the gunwale, and pull up on the
outrigger holder. The person below can now rotate the handle to any
desired position. If the handle does not rotate, pull the handle out and
loosen the bolt one more complete turn and try again.
- Now re-install the hex head screws and plastic cap and the
installation is complete.
Installation of your new Grand Slam 270 Outrigger Base
On a Hard Top
Handy Hank's Tip: As a rule of thumb, if the hard top is strong enough to walk on, it is usually strong enough to mount an outrigger on it.
If you have a foam or core filled hard top make sure its thickness
does not exceed 3".
- The starting, or at rest position of the outrigger is facing aft. The
handles of the GS-270 are set in the same position at the factory. If you
require a different handle starting position, instructions on how to change
them are in steps 13-17.
- Select the mounting location of the Grand Slam mount, keeping
in mind that the center of the 3-1/8" hole on the GS-270 must be a
minimum of 8" away from any object in the direction the handle will
rotate from the starting position you choose.
- After determining the proper location for the 3-1/8" hole mark the
center of the hole and either drill up from underneath the hard top with
a 3-1/8" hole saw, or drill a small hole through the hard top and then drill down with the 3-1/8" hole saw.
- Insert the Grand Slam unit into the hole with the outrigger arm laying
down in the horizontal position facing aft. You want to make sure that
the base is straight before drilling the 4 mounting holes. It is easier to
tell if the base is straight if you place an outrigger in the tube and have
someone observe it from the stern.
- Mark the hard top through each of the 4 mounting holes on both
units, then remove the units to drill the mounting holes.
- For a solid fiberglass hard top, drill each hole with a 5/16" drill bit.
- Put a bead of silicone on the underside of the footprint of the Grand
Slam units around the lower body and around each mounting hole and
insert them into the 3-1/8" holes.
- Install the 4 mounting bolts through the Grand Slams, through the
hard top and through the backing plate on the underside of the hard top,
install the washers and nuts and tighten the nuts while someone holds
the screws with an hex key wrench.
- For a soft core or hollow core hard top, Drill each hole with a 7/16"
drill bit. Measure the thickness of the hard top and cut the spacers to
the same length.
- Put silicone sealant on the underside of the footprint of the Grand Slam units
around the lower body and each of the mounting holes and insert the
Grand Slams into the 3-1/8" hole.
- Install the 4 mounting bolts through the Grand Slams, slide the
spacers up from the underside, install the backing plate, washers and
nuts and tighten the nuts firmly, but do not over tighten. The spacers
should prevent you from compressing the hard top.
- To change the position of the handle remove the 2 hex head screws
from the handle with the included Allen wrench and pull the handle out.
Note: you can get to the top screw easier if you pull down on the handle
and move it so it is in-between positions.
- Pull off the plastic logo cap and up inside the unit you will see a bolt head. With a ratchet, short extension and a 9/16" socket, loosen the bolt counter clockwise 5 complete turns.
- Insert the handle but do not screw it in. Above the hard top the
adjusting knob should be facing outboard. If the knob is inboard, flip the
outrigger holder arm over to the other horizontal position, then pull down
on the handle and rotate it until the outrigger holder on top is facing aft.
- Someone else should stand on the gunwale and pull up on the
outrigger holder and hold it steady while the person below rotates the
handle to the desired starting position.
- Now re-install the hex head screws and plastic cap. The installation
is now complete.
Clamp-On Mounting Plates
For easy installation of the Sport Slam,
TACO's new clamp on mounting plate
clamps to T-tops. No welding required.
- Pre-drilled for mounting outriggers or solid plate (as shown)
for mounting radars, lights & antennas
- Recessed screws allow the clamp to capture both the T-top
pipe and the special mounting plate
- Measuring 30" x 5" this kit includes mounting inserts for 3/4",
1" and 3/4" oval pipe
This patented design outrigger is the perfect
compliment for your new Sport Slam. Available in
black, silver and blue poles, and retracts to less than
6' for bridges, trailering and storage.