1. Regular cleaning will avoid build up of dirt, grease, and other contaminants which can slowly cause premature aging of AWLGRIP or AWLCRAFT 2000. This premature aging can cause the finish to appear dull.
Wash the surface regularly with fresh water and AWLWASH Wash Down Concentrate (73234) which is formulated to clean AWLGRIP and AWLCRAFT 2000 topcoats. AWLWASH does not contain alkalies, acids, or abrasives. Some "marine soaps" are not suitable for use on painted surfaces. When using AWLWASH, it is important to dilute as specified on the label.
When washing it is important to keep the surface wet to prevent AWLWASH from drying on the surface. Use soft, non-abrasive cloths, sponges or washing mits when washing.
Thoroughly rinse all surfaces with fresh water after washing to remove all detergent residue. A water softener is recommended to eliminate hard water residue. Wiping the surface dry with a chamois or soft cotton towel is recommended.
2. AWLGRIP ONLY: Solvents such as AWL-PREP -T0008, AWL-PREP PLUS-T0115, AWL-PREP 400-T0170, toluene, lacquer thinner, M.E.K., acetone, or kerosene may be used to soften or remove heavy build ups of grease and grime, felt tip markings, or aerosol spray paint on the AWLGRIP Topcoat.
AWLCRAFT 2000 ONLY: Use only milder solvents to remove stubborn stains. AWL-PREP T0008, AWL-PREP 400-T0170, mineral spirits, xylene, and kerosene are acceptable for use on AWLCRAFT 2000.
FOR BOTH AWLGRIP AND AWLCRAFT 2000: When using solvents to remove stains, test an an inconspicuous area first. Apply cleaning solvents with soft clean cloths. Wipe up solvent quickly. Do not allow solvent to dry on the surface or puddle and soak into the surface. After the use of solvents, wash these areas with AWLWASH (73234) and water to remove any residue.
3. Always thoroughly rinse all surfaces with fresh water after cleaning with AWLWASH or solvents. Latent solvent residue can attack the AWLGRIP or AWLCRAFT 2000 Topcoat, while the wash down residue will attract dirt.
4. Use distilled white vinegar and hot water to remove stubborn salt stains. Washing with AWLWASH after use of vinegar is recommended.
5. Use AWLCARE (73240), by hand only, to remove stubborn diesel soot stains.
FOR BOTH AWLGRIP AND AWLCRAFT 2000: Protecting the surface with AWLCARE (73240) will help maintain the gloss of AWLGRIP and AWLCRAFT 2000. AWLCARE is a hand applied, non-abrasive, synthetic polymer. It will remove mild stains, water spots and diesel soot while increasing resistance to attack from acid rain and other pollutants, when applied regularly. It contains no harsh abrasives. AWLCARE leaves a non-yellowing, protective polymer coating which lasts through mutiple washings. Use AWLCARE to temporarily seal and restore gloss to painted surfaces dulled by age or mistreatment.