Flex Mold Repair Directions - MAS Epoxies
- Make any and all substitute repairs if require.
- Choose matching FLEX-MOLD repair pattern WAX FIRST! Apply wax into and around area to be repaired BEFORE sanding or grinding. Cover all areas any new gelcote may touch. A thorough and effective release is imperative. Many types of liquid and paste wax or polymer release agents will work. Excess wax and release agent should be removed after the repair is made. Rout out damaged area to the base of the non skid pattern (NOT to the bottom of the gel cote) Do Not grind beyond the base of the pattern.
- Cut FLEX-MOLD large enough to leave at least 1" or better overlap of the area to be repaired.
- Place FLEX-MOLD on the surface and move around until pattern meshes into existing pattern. When FLEX-MOLD is properly placed and depth of area is correct you should be able to run your hand over the FLEX-MOLD and it will feel flat and level, not being able to detect the area to be repaired underneath.
- Not moving the FLEX-MOLD, place a piece of tape down one edge holding the pattern firmly in position. This will act as a hinge and maintain the position of the FLEX-MOLD.
- Mix in color matched gelcote or epoxy and prepare for application. When using epoxy post finish may be required to match colors.
- Using a squeegee hold the edge you have taped down while lifting the far end of the flex mold up.
- Pour the gelcote into the corner you have created by holding back the FLEX-MOLD.
- Using a stick spread the gelcote across the width of the FLEX-MOLD at the end you are holding down with the squeegee (not trapping any air bubbles).
- Using moderate pressure on the squeegee push the FLEX-MOLD down and forward. Do this slowly. As you do this, the gelcote should move in a wave motion in from of the FLEX-MOLD. This will prevent any air from being trapped in the pattern.
- Once the FLEX-MOLD is down, drag the squeegee over the three times with firm pressure. This will push out any excess gelcote and trapped air (This is why you put down the wax. It will allow the excess gelcote to be removed from around the repair area.)
- Allow the gelcote to cure and remove FLEX-MOLD.
2615 River Road #3A
Cinnaminson, NJ 08077
888-627-3769 - 856-303-9245 - FAX: 856-303-2889