Teleflex Safe-T QC Sterndrive Mechanical Steering (Traditional)
Technical Reference Manual
Safe-T QC Sterndrive Steering
Traditional Teleflex Marine Mechanical
steering is still the choice for stern
drives, inboards and other power
It's just right for power steered boats in
which No FeedBack systems are not
Safe-T QC offers the quick response of
three-turn steering, and easy installation
with a patented, no-tools-required cable
connection at the helm.
Virtually all power-assisted stern drive boats
with wheels up to 16" diameter. Safe-T QC
replaces all Teleflex Safe-T helms made since
1968 with little or no dash modifications.
(Requires use of SSC62 QC steering cable.)
For single station use only. Safe-T QC accepts
wheels up to 16" diameter.
Components are available for dual cable
systems, but we recommend No-FeedBack
steering for all dual cable steered, non-power assisted
outboards and stern drives. See the
NFB 4.2 Dual Cable and SeaStar PRO sections
of this catalog.
SINGLE CABLE SYSTEM
TWIN CABLE SYSTEM
|(3 turns lock-to-lock)|
NOTE: When properly installed, this steering system
will connect to engines with ABYC standard tilt
tubes, using engine manufacturer's link arm. For
other engines, see Steering Connection Kits section
- Quick-response of 3 turns lock-to-lock.
- Kits include: cable, helm, 90° bezel and hardware.
- Standard 3/4" round tapered steering shaft.
- Stainless steel cable output ends.
- Fast, easy installation: uses simple snap-in cable connection,
Teleflex Quick Connect (QC) cable, and industry-standard Safe-T
- Meets A.B.Y.C. standards.
- Meets N.M.M.A. certification requirements.
Safe-T QC Steering Kit (single cable) SS137XX (picture below)
(Kits available with steering cable lengths from 8-23
feet. If either a longer or shorter cable is required,
please order your system by components, which are
(Twin cable Safe-T QC systems are sold as service
components; see listing below for helm, bezel and
cable numbers. If replacing "TS" type threaded spigot
twin helm, the cables connected to that helm MUST
be replaced - they will NOT connect to new helm.)
SINGLE CABLE STEERING KIT
* Requires SH91500 tilt mechamism to complete Tilt Steering
- Safe-T Cable (with helm nut)..............SSC72XX
- QC II Cable (Safe-T QC or "TS") ........SSC61XX
- QC II Threaded Helm Converter........SA27620P
- Steering Wheel Hardware Kit .............2745417P
- Spent Travel Tube .............................SA35680P
- Hitch Pin for Quick Connect Helms ....2724514P
- Safe-T "TS" helm .................................SH5023P
(This is the old style helm with two threaded spigots. Requires
SSC72XX or SSC61XX cable, NOT SSC62XX cable.)
- Safe-T QC Dual Helm........................SH5294P†
- Safe-T QC Dual Tilt Helm .............. SH91524P*†
†For dual cable steered stern drives. If steering is NOT power assisted, upgrading to NFB 4.2 Dual Cable is recommended.