Technical Reference Manual
PLEASE NOTE WHEN ORDERING: SeaStar
steering kits come with cylinder # HC5345. If your
application requires the use of a cylinder other than
HC5345, you will need to purchase all components
separately (helm, hoses, cylinder, etc.)
NOTE: When properly installed, this steering system will connect
to outboard engines with ABYC standard tilt tubes, using the
engine's tiller arm (and possibly an adapter, depending on
engine). Use only SeaStar outboard steering hoses (HO51/HO57
type) with SeaStar outboard steering systems. The use of nylon
tubing is not recommended for SeaStar outboard steering.
For SeaStar PRO, see the Pro Series Outboard Steering
section of this catalog.
Unmatched comfort and control. Only
with SeaStar steering. The world's most
popular outboard hydraulic system offers
smooth, super-efficient steering for today's
high performance hulls with single or multiple
outboards up to 600 HP combined. It's the OEM
Choice for center consoles, cruisers and more.
Single and dual non-power-assisted outboard
engines up to 300 HP (600 combined HP
for counter-rotating duals) that have ABYC
standard engine tilt tube.
Ideal for cruisers, runabouts, center console
boats, offshore fishing boats and many more.
Suitable for speeds up to 60 MPH and dual
station use (with purchase of extra helm, hose
Allows independent engine tilt in dual engine
installations. Dual engines require purchase of
a tie bar kit and extra hardware.
- Patented steering lock valves.
- Low friction hydraulic steering system.
- 5 turns from lock-to-lock (single cylinder).
- Compact helm has only a 4-7/16" footprint;
needs only 3" dash hole (Tilt requires larger
dash cut out).
- Packaged complete with helm, cylinder,
fittings, oil, bleeder kit and detailed
- Standard 3/4" tapered steering shaft.
- Fast, easy installation.
- Meets A.B.Y.C. standards.
- Meets N.M.M.A. certification requirements.
- SeaStar 1.7 Steering Kit (with Hoses)..HK63XX
(XX = length of included hose kit in feet.)
- SeaStar 1.7 Steering Kit (no Hoses) HK6400
- SeaStar 2.4 Helm (see ordering guide).HH5272
- SeaStar 1.7 Sport Tilt Helm/Mech.........HH5291
- SeaStar 1.7 Traditional Tilt Helm/Mech.HH5741
- SeaStar 2.4 Sport Tilt Helm/Mech.........HH5292
- SeaStar 2.4 Traditional Tilt Helm/Mech.HH5742
- SeaStar 1.7 Rear Mount Helm..............HH5261
- SeaStar 1.7 Commercial Duty Helm......HH5217
- SeaStar 2.4 Commercial Duty Helm......HH5224
(Designed for small Lobster and Crabbing vessels, these helms
have a stainless steel shaft with heavy duty seal and wiper, which
help protect the helm from the abrasive effects of sediment
brought on board with traps or pots.)
- Pivot Mount Cylinder (Silver)............HC53__SIL
(Same part number as black cylinders except for "SIL" suffix. For
cylinder applications, see those for HC53__ series in Application
Guide on next page.)
- Pivot Mount Cylinder- PRO (Black)....HC63__
(Second two digits are the same as standard black pivot mount
cylinders; for example, PRO equivalent of HC5345 is HC6345.
For PRO cylinder applications, see those for HC53__ series in
Application Guide on next page.)
- Pivot Mt. Cylinder- PRO (Red)...HC63__RED
(Same P/N as black PRO cylinders except for "RED" suffix. For
red PRO cylinder applications, see those for HC53__ series in
Application Guide on next page.)
- SeaStar Round Bezel Kit ......................HA5417
(Reduces helm protrusion by 3.75")
- SeaStar Backplate Kit............................HA5418
(Reduces helm protrusion by thickness of dash and allows clean
retrofit of SeaStar helm where following helms were previously
installed: pre-1991 SeaStar, SyTen, and mechanical rotary
- SeaStar 20 Dash Wedge Kit...............HA5419
- SeaStar Bulkhead Hose Kit (2 hoses)...HO81__
(Allows installation through a bulkhead without additional fittings.
See Page 14 for more information.)
- SeaStar Twin Engine Tie Bar Kit...........HO5___
(See Application Guides on next two pages.)
- Add-A-Station/Autopilot Fitting Kit.........HF5501S
- 1. HC5345 is optional for Single Engine ONLY applications.
DO NOT use HC5345 for twin engine applications as
operational interference may occur.
- 2. Requires One Spacer Kit HO5090 per engine.
- 3. Minimum Engine Center = 27"
- 4. May Require Extensive Cowling Modifications.
- 5. HO5030 and HO5064 come without Tie Bar.
- 6. One cylinder per engine. Must use Mercury-supplied tiller bolt
These recommendations apply to factory stock outboards only.
Modified installations may require a higher capacity steering
system. (Cylinder volume / helm displacement = number of
turns.) If in doubt, contact Teleflex Canada technical service for
assistance. For single, dual and triple engine installations, refer
to SeaStar Manual #1.1 for detailed instructions, application information and parts diagrams. Some applications vary from
what is depicted in this catalog. Always consult SeaStar manual
for diagrams specific to your application. Use only SeaStar/
SeaStar PRO Hose or 3/8" Copper Tubing + Hoses to plumb
the system. NOTE: Interference between the cylinder and boat
can occur under certain conditions. Check installation thoroughly
throughout the full range of movement for engine tilt and trim (and
jack plate, if present).
H05090 SPACER KIT PARTS LIST
||Screw 3/8-24 x 1-5/8" Hex Head (Tiller Bolt)
||Fender Washer 3/8" I.D. (stainless steel)
||Spacer 1/2" (aluminum)
||Yamaha Spacer 3/16"
||Thick Spacer 3/8" (nylon)
- 1. One Spacer Kit HO5090 required per engine.
- 2. Requires one cylinder per engine.
- 3. One cylinder per engine. MUST use Mercury supplied tiller bolt.
- 4. Two cylinders required. Must be mounted on outside engines.
- 5. Requires one HO5009 tiebar.
- 6. Requires two HO5009 tiebars.
- 7. If interference occurs use Mercury tiebar.
With the power and speed increasing for performance type SKA
fishing boats, Teleflex offers dedicated system components for
these types of craft. If your application calls for a dual or triple
outboard engine configuration, is capable of speeds exceeding
55 MPH, and runs in open water, please refer to the Application
Guide above for your specific engine size and type.