Technical Reference Manual
NOTE: When properly installed, this steering system will connect
to outboard engines with ABYC standard tilt tubes, using the
engine's tiller arm (and possibly an adapter). Use only SeaStar
PRO steering hoses (HO57 type, in 14, 16 & 18'). Do not use
nylon tubing with SeaStar PRO. SeaStar PRO requires a
balanced cylinder; do not use SeaStar PRO helms with
unbalanced cylinders (side mount, splashwell mount, etc.)
or steering will be very stiff in one direction. Always check
clearances to ensure full engine articulation!
The ultimate steering for high
speed single outboards, SeaStar
PRO, is designed for the high speed
and performance of today's top-end
bass boats. Recommended for single
outboards up to 300 HP (even with
jackplates and performance props),
SeaStar PRO has steered the BASS
Masters Classic since 1994 and
it's the choice of high performance
Seastar Pro is for high-performance boats with
single non-power-assisted out
boards up to 300
HP, especially those capable of speeds over 60
MPH, which demand maximum steering control
and comfort. It is suitable for use with high-
performance propellers and jack plates.
- Patented steering lock valves.
- Low friction hydraulic steering system.
- 4.25 turns from lock-to-lock.
- Compact helm has only a 4-7/16" footprint
- needs only 3" dash hole (Tilt requires
- Optional PRO Cylinders with longer shaft
bushings and larger pivot bushings for an
even more solid feel!
- Optional hoses with through-bulkhead
fittings; multiple helm mounting options
- Factory swaged hoses are Kevlar
- Packaged complete with helm, cylinder,
fittings, oil, bleeder kit and detailed
- Standard 3/4" tapered steering shaft.
- Fast, easy installation.
- Meets A.B.Y.C. standards.
- Meets N.M.M.A. certification requirements.
- SeaStar PRO Steering Kit (with Hoses)..HK73XX
(XX = length of included hose kit in feet.)
- SeaStar PRO Steering Kit (no Hoses)....HK7400
PLEASE NOTE WHEN ORDERING: SeaStar PRO
steering kits come with cylinder # HC5345. If your
application requires the use of a cylinder other than
HC5345, you will need to purchase all components
separately (helm, hoses, cylinder, etc.)
- SeaStar PRO Helm...............................HH5770
- Pivot Mount Outboard Cylinder (Black).HC5345*
(See application guide for some engines which may require
HC5347, HC5348 or HC5358.)
- SeaStar PRO Hose Kit (2 hoses)..........HO57__
- SeaStar Oil (1 Quart)......................HA5430 (x2)
- SeaStar PRO Sport Tilt Helm/Mech......HH5290
- SeaStar PRO Traditional Tilt Helm/Mech..HH5774
- Pivot Mount Cylinder (Silver)............HC53__SIL
(Same part number as black cylinders except for "SIL" suffix. For
cylinder applications, see those for HC53__ series in Application
Guide on next page.)
- Pivot Mount Cylinder - PRO (Black)....HC63__
(Second two digits are the same as standard black pivot mount
cylinders; for example, PRO equivalent of HC5345 is HC6345.
For PRO cylinder applications, see those for HC53__ series in
Application Guide on next page.)
- Pivot Mt. Cylinder - PRO (Red)...HC63__RED
- Pivot Mt. Cylinder - PRO (Silver)....HC63__SIL
(Same P/N as black PRO cylinders except for "RED" or "SIL"
suffix. For red or silver PRO cylinder applications, see those for
HC53__ series in Application Guide on next page.)
- SeaStar Round Bezel Kit ......................HA5417
(Reduces helm protrusion by 3.75")
- SeaStar Backplate Kit............................HA5418
(Reduces helm protrusion by thickness of dash and allows clean
retrofit of SeaStar helm where following helms were previously
installed: pre-1991 SeaStar, SyTen, and mechanical rotary steering.)
- SeaStar 20 Dash Wedge Kit................HA5419
- PRO Bulkhead Hose Kit (2 hoses)........HO82__
(Allows through-bulkhead installation without additional fittings.)HH5290
- SeaStar Oil (1 Gallon)...........................HA5440
- Steering Wheel Locknut.........................747521747521
SeaStar PRO is for single engine applications only.
The recommendations shown above apply to factory stock outboards only. Modified installations may require a higher capacity steering
system. (Cylinder volume / helm displacement = number of turns.) If in doubt, contact Teleflex Canada technical service for assistance.
Some applications vary from what is depicted in this catalog. Always consult SeaStar manual for diagrams specific to your application.
Interference between the cylinder and boat can occur under certain conditions. Check installation thoroughly throughout the full range of
movement for engine tilt and trim (and jack plate, if present).
For all Seastar PRO outboard systems: use only SeaStar PRO Hose Kit Part No. HO57__ or HO82__, where last two digits equal length in feet.
PREMIUM OUTBOARD STEERING
High speed generates high torque loads.
High torque loads greatly increase your
Hydraulic steering systems weren't generally
used on high speed boats until the advent of
In a traditional hydraulic system, the propeller
feedback load will try to turn the steering wheel.
Since hydraulic helms have lock valves, the
wheel doesn't turn but pressure in that hydraulic
line will increase as the pressure in the other
line drops. When the wheel is turned with
the load, there is a dead spot, which makes
handling difficult in high speed boats.
SeaStar PRO changed all that and made this
version of hydraulic steering the standard for
high speed single outboard powered boats.
SeaStar PRO's unique valve system keeps
pressures in the two hydraulic lines about
equal, so the wheel feels solid and sure at
SeaStar PRO is the only hydraulic steering
system uniquely designed to give you
maximum steering comfort and control of your
high-performance bass boat.
SeaStar PRO has been installed on premium
bass boats as original equipment for many
years. It's the ideal upgrade for twin-cable