Founded in the early 1920's, Shimano started off as a company known for precision engineering. These days, Shimano is a leader in the industry and is regarded as one of the forerunners in product innovation. Priding themselves on the ability to design and produce fishing tackle that features the most cutting edge technology, including High Efficiency Gearing (HEG), A-RB (anti-rust bearings) and TC4 Construction.
Technologies and features used in Shimano reels:
High Efficiency Gearing (HEG)
HEG consists of the gears, frame, set-plate, and handle-side side-plate. The increased size of the drive gear and the pinion gear increase leverage and power. The one-piece frame, which incorporates the set-plate and added one-piece stamp side-plate eliminates flex in the drive train which causes gears to bind under pressure. By eliminating the flex and increasing the leverage it is able to provide high-speed retrieves and greater amount of torque, all while maintaining the smooth, silent retrieve.
Anti-rust Bearings (A-RB)
These are stainless steel ball bearings that are treated to drastically increase the corrosion resistance of the bearing, and last at least 10 times longer than standard stainless steel ball bearings in high salinity environments.
Variable Brake System (VBS)
VBS uses centrifugal force to aid in controlling the cast, as opposed to magnets. When turned on, the individual brake weights are forced outward at the beginning of the cast when backlashes most often occur, causing friction that reduces the speed of the spool. Once the spool begins to slow, the pressure with which the brake weights contact the raceway lessens, allowing the spool to continue spinning.
This results in a much more consistent spool speed that is easier to manage and takes advantage of the reel's maximum casting distance. Settings range from zero weights turned on for true free-spool or up to 6 weights turned on for extremely windy conditions and maximum cast control.
Super Stopper anti-reverse uses a one-way stainless steel roller bearing that eliminates back-play. This provides the angler with instant hook setting power.
This drag material provides a wider range of drag settings, along with the smoothest Shimano drag performance ever.
Quick Fire II
The Quick Fire II allows for easy and fast one-handed casts, the line and trigger self-center are within easy grasp of the angler's index finger.
This feature eliminates wobble during the retrieve by counter balancing the rotor to enhance sensitivity and smoothness. By using computer balancing, an approach similar to car tire balancing, we are able to redistribute the rotor weight to create smooth rotation and eliminate vibrations.
Types of Reels
- Charter Special Conventional Reels - A lightweight, dependable leverdrag reel, with levelwind for line control.
- TLD 2 Speed Conventional Reels - The leverdrag TLD IIA reels offer 2-speed versatility, salt-resistant A-RB bearings and excellent performance.
- TLD Triton Lever Drag Reels
Low Profile Baitcasting Reels
- Citica 200E Baitcasting Reels - This lightweight and compact design features three bearings, HEG Gearing and tons of high-end features.
- Castaic SF Baitcasting Reels - Setting the standard in baitcasting performance, the Castaic reels offer specialized features like Instagage II for pitching and flipping.
- Chromica B Baitcasting Reel - A four-bearing reel that has been redesigned with a Lo-Mass spool and VBS cast control for improved casting performance, additional features include Super Stopper with Assist Stopper Anti-Reverse.
Round Baitcasting Reels
- Calcutta B Baitcasting Reels -
These are the core of Shimano quality, versatility, dependability and long-term value. There is a Calcutta reel for almost any application, in fresh or saltwater. The Dartanium Drag, A-RB, and Super Stopper all allow the Calcutta to provide you with years of solid performance.
- Cardiff Baitcasting Reels - Features five A-RB bearings, a lightweight, die-cast one-piece aluminum frame, Super Stopper anti-reverse and VBS breaking system making this a reel that you can depend on, and one that will perform beyond your expectations.
Offshore Spinning Reels
- Baitrunner D Spinning Reels -
Combines today's technology with legendary performance and durability. Features Propulsion Line Management System to S A-RB bearings. The new compact profile of Baitrunners can handle nearly any live-bait application and size.
- Stella SW Spinning Reel - Smooth and durable with a high line capacity and drag, a favorite among high-stakes saltwater anglers. This S-Concept reel now includes the Propulsion, Paladin and Aerowrap features.
**Winner of 2008 ICAST New Product Showcase Award for Best Saltwater Reel**
- Spirex Spinning Reel - Features Quick Fire II for easy, one-handed casts and A-RB bearings for smooth-as-silk retrieves.
- AX Front Drag Spinning Reels - With Varispeed and Dyna-Balance, you can count on the AX reel for long casts and smooth retrieves.