Pettit's Z Spar Captains Satin Varnish V-975 impressively enhances interior woodwork with a soft, satin sheen. Captains Satin Varnish is a long-lasting urethane resin that resists scratches, chips, alcohol, and water. The urethane's quicker drying time allows for faster overcoating, which saves time.
Varnished Wood in Good Condition
1. Thoroughly sand the existing varnish with 220 grit production paper and wipe clean with a tack rag.
2. Apply at least two coats of Pettit V-975 Satin Varnish. Let the first coat dry overnight, sand with 220 grit sandpaper and clean off sanding residue with a tack rag before applying the final coat.
Varnished Wood in Poor Condition
1. Remove all the old varnish with a paint and varnish remover or by sanding.
2. Bleach the wood if necessary to remove water stains.
3. Proceed with the system for bare wood shown above.
Bare Teak (or other woods with high oil content)
1. Sand the wood smooth with 120 grit production paper to open up the grain. Wipe the surface thoroughly with Pettit 121 Spraying Thinner in an effort to aggressively remove as much oil as possible.
2. Apply a generous coat of Pettit 2012 Super Dry Sealer. After a two to four hour dry, lightly sand the surface with 220 grit sandpaper and wipe it clean with a rag dampened with Pettit 120/T-10 Brushing Thinner.
3. Apply at least six coats of Pettit V-975 Satin Varnish. Let each coat dry overnight, then sand with 220 grit sandpaper, and clean off sanding residue with a tack rag before applying the next coat.
It should be noted that woods with a high oil content may eventually experience adhesion problems as there is no way to totally eliminate the oil and prevent it from migrating to the surface. However, this application technique has proven successful in most circumstances.
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
March 29, 2016
tough interior finish. use it in cabinets and table tops
June 3, 2014
nowhere in the description does it say for interior use only. I purchased this product for use on outside furniture figuring it was exterior use as well as interior since the gloss Captains varnish is but found on the can where it is for interior use only. I used on the furniture, putting 5 coats on it and am hoping for the best. I can not give it a true rating until I see how well it is going to hold up in the sun and the rain.
May 29, 2013
i used thia product to refinish the interior cabin sole on our Island Packet 40. this is the same product used by IP, and they apply it by brushing on the first coat and spraying the second, final coat. I applied 3 coats using badger brushes. It took awhile to figure out how to get a consistent, uniform appearance with even sheen and no breaks in surface appearance. The key seemed to be frequent stirring when applying, and brushing in one direction with the grain in long, continuous runs, with no breaks, and then tipping to finish without lifting the brush. Wherever the brush was lifted, or the varnish was applied in a different direction , a noticible difference in sheen would develop with drying. After I got the hang of it, the appearance was quite uniform and attractive.
December 31, 2012
This is a very forgiving varnish. It sprays well with 10% thinner. Clean up with Tolulene or Unleaded Gasoline (which is mostly Tolulene).
December 10, 2012
Especially good for reducing glare on inner hulls of rowboats. The product provides good epoxy protection against UV radiation.
Phasellus suscipit tincidunt tristique. Quisque mattis euismod ipsum, ac accumsan ante fermentum non. Vestibulum eget auctor lorem. Integer euismod justo nulla, nec ultricies ipsum pulvinar in. Duis sed fringilla turpis, at ultricies orci. Nam est turpis, consequat nec feugiat a.
Praesent sodales et ipsum
Mauris congue justo sit amet lacus sagittis, a tempor lectus tempus. Suspendisse quis nulla ac nibh accumsan tincidunt ac quis tortor. Proin dignissim aliquam odio, sed bibendum urna sagittis dapibus. Aenean ut tristique ante, sit amet ultrices nisi. Praesent eu dapibus augue. Mauris tempus suscipit ipsum, et malesuada tellus euismod eu. Quisque consequat turpis id feugiat lacinia. Vestibulum sit amet elementum augue. Quisque tempus ligula vitae placerat pulvinar. In egestas sodales lorem, id egestas lacus pharetra eget. Sed ac mi placerat, placerat nulla ut, imperdiet nunc. Mauris at felis vehicula, commodo est eu, ullamcorper purus.