Free shipping on orders over $99.99! Don't miss out!
$261.90 In Stock
Teleflex Big T Helm
$261.90In Stock
Teleflex Big  T Components
Ask a Question
Based on 2 Reviews
  • 5 Star


  • 4 Star


  • 3 Star


  • 2 Star


  • 1 Star


Teleflex Big T Helm Customer Questions and Answers

1 of 1 Questions


I've got a 1996 Fortier 26' with 240 HP Yanmar inboard diesel. My steering wheel moves about 1 1/2" before the rudder moves. This summer my steering cable froze up and I could only steer in one direction. I think I should replace both helm and cable. I have the "Big T" helm which I see is available from Jamestown distributors. My old cable is 18' and has the number SS07218 on it. I can't find a replacement cable with this number. Any ideas?

Asked on 11/02/2015 by Bert W

Top Answer

Bert, I had the same issue this summer as you did. The core of my cable snapped internally, and I could only turn one direction when the ends of the broken cable met and pushed but would not pull. I have a 21' Pro-Line Cuddy Cabin with 115hp Yamaha. I replaced my old Teleflex steering unit (internal gear drive stripped)3 years ago with a Tel-SH-5000P "Big T" Single Station Push-Pull. At that time my old 18' cable inserted and screwed on OK. But the newer "Big T"'s that are now sold have a "quick connect" cable fitting and thus the newer cable is different. The old style screw-on cable SS07218 seems to be no longer available unless some marina just happens to have one on the shelf. Instead purchase the SSC6218 cable (~$100) with the SA27620P quick connect adapter (~$15). You should be able to purchase the SSC6118 kit which includes both the cable and adapter. (Double check the part #'s as I am reading from notes that I took after researching this in July-2015). If you have any questions, call Teleflex directly (look up the tel # on the internet .. JD will not allow me to post it). They were very helpful to me. Good luck!

Answered on 11/02/2015 by WILLIAM C. UNGER III
See More Answers (1)


The cable you need for the Big T helm is TEL-SSC6218.

Answered on 11/02/2015 by Rick White
Answer Question
1 of 1