Trailer Hub Installation
- Remove wheel from hub.
- Remove hub dust cap, cotter key, spindle nut and washer.
- Remove old hub from spindle
- Assemble new hub. Pack bearings as shown, if not already
pre-assembled or pre-greased.
- Mount wheel.
- Tighten the spindle nut with a 1/2 inch wrench to
approximately 40 ft. lbs. Turn wheel in both directions to be sure
wheel turns freely.
- Turn back spindle nut 1/6 to 1/4 turn to the nearest locking
hole. Wheel should turn smoothly with no end play or wobble.
- Line up cotter key with nearest locking hole and spread key.
- Install dust cap.
Wheel Bearing Lubrication
Shading indicates the recomendation for the correct
amount of grease in wheel hub. (Fill wheel hub with
grease to inside diameter of outer races and also fill hub
grease cap.) Never use grease heavier than 265 A.S.T.M.
penetration (No. 2 grade). Grease bearing cone by
machine or by hand method. Force grease between
rollers, cone, and cage. It is not recommended that a
pressure grease fitting be installed on the hub.
Bearing Reference Chart