TDS Fitting Epoxy is a custom blended flexible mastic of high quality epoxy resins and activators to yield a flexible bonding system for teak on other woods, fiberglass, aluminum and steel. Internal fiber reinforcement provides excellent strength for bonding to the substrate. Once cured, the Epoxy serves as an additional corrosion barrier to the sub-surface. TDS Fitting Epoxy will cure in temperatures as low as 50° F.
Developed to be user-friendly, the simplified 1:1 mix ratio allows a batch of any size to be easily measured and mixed. Once thoroughly mixed, the material can be spread immediately, requiring no induction time. TDS Fitting Epoxy can be used directly from the containers to bond teak to a variety of substrates or used as a strong, flexible fairing material. Depending on temperature and mass, working time will be 40-60 minutes, the material will set in 4-6 hours and complete cure will be achieved in 24 hours.
TDS Fitting Epoxy is DOT non-corrosive so it does not require hazardous labeling for shipment. The containers are packed in double corrugated packaging to prevent damage during shipment.
Mixing Instructions: Mix by volume: 1 part base resin with 1 part activator. Mix well, scraping the sides of the container, until you have achieved a uniform tan color with no streaks. Mixing MUST be thorough to ensure a good cure. DO NOT ADD ANY FILLERS OR REDUCER. Application is not recommended below 50° F.
- All surfaces must be clean, dry, and free of any dirt, grease, wax, etc. before beginning any surface preparation.
- Steel should be sandblasted or ground to clean white metal per SSPC-SP63 to a 3-4 mil profile. Wash with Metal Prep. Apply 2-3 coats of a commercially approved epoxy primer adequately filling the blast profile.
- Aluminum should be sandblasted or ground with 24 grit disc pads to a 3-4 mil profile. Then follow with a Awlgrip Wash Primer CF or Max Cor CF. Then either Awlgrip 545, Devoe Epoxy Primer, or Equivalent.
- Fiberglass should be ground with 36-40 grit paper then wiped down with acetone or alcohol.
- Wood should be scuffed with 36-40 grit paper. Do not use polyester resin or wood sealers that contain oils. It is highly recommended that a sample adhesion test be performed to the primed surface 24 hours prior to the final glue-down.
- For all surfaces, follow manufacturer's recommendations for fairing and priming of the fairing material before glue-down. primers must be sanded before bonding.
Coverage is approximately 30-35 SF/Gallon at 1/8" thick (3/16" toothed trowel).
As with all epoxies, Teakdecking System's Fitting Epoxy can cause skin and eye irritation upon frequent or prolonged exposure. Avoid contact with skin and eyes by the use of gloves, goggles, impervious clothing and barrier creams. In case of accidental contact, wash skin thoroughly with soap and water. In the event of eye contact, flush eyes with water for 15 minutes and seek medical attention. See MSDS for further information and first aid measures.
|Specific Gravity-Base A||1.011|
|Specific Gravity-Activator B||1.010|
|Gel Time (8-oz Mix)||65 Minutes|
|Open Time - 3/16"||120-180 Minutes|
|Film Set Time - 3/16" @ 77°F||3.5 Hours|
|Film Set Time - 3/16" @ 40°F||12 Hours|
|Heat Distortion Temperature||131°F|
|Peak Exotherm- 100g Mass||285°|
|Adhesion To Teak||Substrate Failure|
|Adhesion To Phenolic||Substrate Failure|
|Compressive Strength||14,300 psi|
|Compressive Modulus||388,000 psi|
|Tensile Strength||7,800 psi|
|Tensile Modulus||403,000 psi|
|Flexural Strength||15,900 psi|
|Flexural Modulus||445,000 psi|
|Hardness - Shore D||76-78|
|Adhesion To Aluminum||>400 psi|
|Adhesion To Steel||>450 psi|