Quantum45 Epoxy Surfacing Primer:
Preparation, Mixing, and Application
Quantum45 is a two-component epoxy-polyamide system intended for use as a surfacing primer for marine applications. This system provides superior filling qualities and exhibits excellent adhesion and corrosion protection to wood, fiberglass, and previously painted surfaces. Quantum45 Epoxy Surfacing Primer is the recommended primer for Quantum Series Topcoats, and is an integral part of the Quantum high solids repairable marine finish system (refer to the Quantum System Product Selection Guide for details).
- Quantum Surface Prep Cleaner
- Quantum45 Epoxy Surfacing Primer Base (Off White)
- Quantum45 Epoxy Surfacing Primer Base (Gray)
- Quantum45 Epoxy Primer Activator
- Quantum45 Epoxy Primer Reducer
- Quantum45 Cold Cure Epoxy Primer Accelerator
- Fiberglass/Wood: Abrade with 100-150 grit sandpaper.
- Previously painted surfaces: If no corrosion byproducts are present, abrade with 100-150 grit sandpaper to remove gloss.
- Solvent clean with Quantum Surface Prep Cleaner prior to application such that surfaces are free from dust, oils, corrosion, or any other contaminants. Use lint free cloths and the two-rag wipe-on/wipe-off method.
Shake or stir the base component such that there is no material remaining on the bottom or sides of the can. Thoroughly mix 1 part Quantum45 Epoxy Surfacing Primer Base (Off White or Gray) with 1 part Quantum45 Epoxy Primer Activator by volume. Allow an induction period of approximately 30 minutes prior to reduction and application. Reduction is not normally recommended. However, a 10-20% reduction by volume of the admixed primer with Quantum45 Epoxy Primer Reducer may be used for desired appearance and to control film thickness. EXAMPLE: 6 oz. Epoxy Primer Base, 6 oz. Epoxy Primer Activator, and 0 to 2 oz. Epoxy Primer Reducer, as desired.
In subsequent coats, apply up to 12 total wet mils, waiting 1-3 hours between coats. One coat application (3-4 wet mils) may be sanded in 4 hours. Multiple coat application should cure 16 hours at 72°F before sanding. Application of a guide coat is recommended before sanding to ensure a uniform, smooth surface. Abrade the cured system with 220 or finer grit sandpaper to ensure optimum adhesion and topcoat appearance.
WARNING: Do not apply paint materials to surfaces less than 5°F above dew point, or to surfaces warmer than 125°F. Substrate (application surface) temperature should be minimum 45°F to maximum 125°F.
Use with adequate ventilation and proper respiratory protection. See MSDS for complete details of composition and precautions.